I am a researcher, developer and consultant in the field of Document Engineering and have over 15 years of experience working with PDF and HTML(+CSS+JS) documents on topics including table recognition, automatic tagging, accessibility, layout optimization and conversion between the two formats.
I am member of the PDF Association and participate in its Technical Working Groups on Responsive and Accessible PDF. I am also a member of Committee 069 at Austrian Standards International, which represents Austria in the ISO Technical Commitee for PDF (TC171/SC2).
I was previously employed at HP Labs in the field of Automated Publishing, working on delivering documents for screen (desktop and mobile devices) and print. Prior to this, I worked in academia, where I co-organized the ICDAR 2013 Table Competition. I am located in Vienna, Austria and am available for both on-site and remote contract work.
Prior to my position at HP, I worked in academia at the Zukunftskolleg, University of Konstanz working on semi-flexible layouts and at IUPR, TU Kaiserslautern on the Decapod project. Before, I was at PRIP and DBAI, TU Wien. I wrote my doctoral thesis at the Database and Artificial Intelligence Group at TU Wien under the supervision of Prof. Georg Gottlob.
This page contains a summary of my current research activities, my previous work and links to some of my open-source contributions in the field of document engineering.
Here is a selection of recent publications which I have authored or co-authored:
- Hassan, T.: Towards a Universally Editable Portable Document Format, DocEng 2018, Halifax, Canada.
- Hassan, T., Verges-Llahi, J., Gonzalez, A.: High-Performance Preprocessing of Architectural Drawings for Legend Metadata Extraction via OCR, DocEng 2017, Valletta, Malta.
- Liu, L., Vernica, R., Hassan, T., Damera Venkata, N., Lei, Y., Fan, J., Liu, J., Simske, S.J., Wu, S.: METIS: A Multi-faceted Hybrid Book Learning Platform, DocEng 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- Hassan, T., Damera Venkata, N.: The Browser as a Document Composition Engine, DocEng 2015, Lausanne.
- Hassan, T., Hunter, A.: Knuth-Plass Revisited: Flexible Line-Breaking for Automatic Document Layout, DocEng 2015, Lausanne.
- Göbel, M., Hassan, T., Oro, E., Orsi, G.: ICDAR 2013 Table Competition, ICDAR 2013, Washington, DC.
- Göbel, M., Hassan, T., Oro, E., Orsi, G.: A Methodology for Evaluating Algorithms for Table Understanding in PDF Documents, DocEng 2012, Paris.
- Gabdulkhakova, A., Hassan, T.: Document Understanding of Graphical Content in Natively Digital PDF Documents, DocEng 2012, Paris.
- Hassan, T., Hu, C. and Hersch, R.D.: Next Generation Typeface Representations: Revisiting Parametric Fonts, DocEng 2010, Manchester.
- Hassan, T.: Towards a Common Evaluation Strategy for Table Structure Recognition Algorithms, DocEng 2010, Manchester.
- Hassan, T.: Object-Level Document Analysis of PDF Files, DocEng 2009, Munich.
- Hassan, T.: GraphWrap: A System for Interactive Wrapping of PDF Documents Using Graph Matching Techniques, DocEng 2009, Munich.
- Hassan, T.: User-Guided Wrapping of PDF Documents using Graph Matching Techniques, ICDAR 2009, Barcelona.
- Hassan, T., Baumgartner, R: Table Recognition and Understanding from PDF Files, ICDAR 2007, Curitiba, Brazil.
- Carme, J., Ceresna, M., Frölich, O., Gottlob, G., Hassan, T., Herzog, M., Holzinger, W., Krüpl, B.: The Lixto Project: Exploring New Frontiers of Web Data Extraction, BNCOD 2006, Belfast.
- Hassan, T., Baumgartner, R: Using Graph Matching Techniques to Wrap Data from PDF Documents, WWW 2006 (Poster track), Edinburgh. You can find the poster here (PDF).
A list of my publications on DBLP is available here.